Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Special Challah


You know from previous posts that I bake challah for Temple B'nai Sholem in New Bern. Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur come up at the end of September and early October.

Tradition for High Holy Days is for the challah to be round, symbolizing the cycle of life.
I was able to find a wonderful example of how to weave a round challah at http://www.ou.org/shabbat_shalom/article/woven_round_challah/. This was the result - a wonderful intricate round loaf.

Apart from this I have a new recipe that I have been experimenting with. It's Clay's Multi-grain Sourdough Sandwich Bread from King Arthur Flour. In place of sourdough I have substituted the Italian Winter Biga that I mentioned in the last post. The mix requires more water than the recipe calls for 1/4 cup in place of 2/3 cup. The grains are Bob's Red Mill 5 grain cereal. Creates a great, long lasting sandwich bread.

No comments: